Statutory issues concerning the election/appointment of
- the Chair of the Standardization Management Board (SMB) and IEC Vice-President
- five Members of the Council Board (CB)
- nine Members of the SMB
- four Members of the Conformity Assessment Board (CAB)
Other principal items on the agenda
- The General Secretary’s report (see separate e-tech article)
- The President’s address (see separate e-tech article)
- Financial matters
- Reports from the Council Board, including reports from the IEC Vice-Presidents on CAB, Market Strategy Board (MSB) and SMB activities (see separate e-tech articles on CAB, SMB and MSB)
- Forthcoming GMs (General Meetings)
Chair of the SMB and IEC Vice-President
Council elected Dr Ralph Sporer from Germany as Chair of the SMB and IEC Vice-President for a three-year term of office (2017-2019).
Council elected five financial Group A CB members for a three-year term of office (2017-2019):
- Mr Patrick Bernard (France)
- Dr Keiji Kimura (Japan)
- Mr Markus Reigl (Germany)
- Mr John M. Thompson (United States)
- Mr Rodney C.J. Turtle (United Kingdom)
Standardization Management Board
Council appointed/re-appointed six Automatically Appointed Members of the SMB for a three-year term of office (2017-2019):
- Mr Emmanuel Petit (France)
- Mr Michael Teigeler (Germany)
- Mr Ivano Visintainer (Italy)
- Mr Tadashi Ezaki (Japan)
- Ms Anne Humberstone (United Kingdom)
- Ms Sonya Bird (United States)
- Mr Carlos Perez Munguia (Mexico)
- Mr Jos R. Remy (The Netherlands)
- Mr Thomas Korssell (Sweden)
as members of the SMB for a three-year term of office (2017-2019).
Conformity Assessment Board
Council re-appointed Mr Didier Bourgès (France) and Mr Tim Duffy (United States) as Automatically Appointed Members of the CAB for a three-year term of office (2017-2019).
- Mr Ian Forte (Australia)
- Mr Rafael Nava (Mexico)
as members of the CAB for a three-year term of office (2017-2019).
Dr Åke Danemar, IEC Treasurer, reported on the financial situation of the IEC.
Council approved the audited accounts of the Commission for the financial year 2015 as well as the 2017 budget and the distribution of national dues for 2017.
Future General Meetings
81st General Meeting
Vladivostok, Russian Federation, from 9 to 13 October 2017.
82nd General Meeting
Busan, Republic of Korea, from 22 to 26 October 2018.
83rd General Meeting
Council formally accepted the invitation of the Chinese National Committee (NC) to host the 83rd General Meeting in Shanghai from 21 to 25 October 2019.
Although Council can only officially accept invitations from National Committees up to three years in advance, many Members have already declared their intention to invite the IEC to host a future IEC GM:
84th General Meeting
The Swedish National Committee has stated its intention to invite the IEC for the 2020 GM in Stockholm.
The National Committees of the United Arab Emirates, the United States and Egypt have expressed an interest in hosting the GM in the years 2021, 2022 and 2023 respectively.
In conclusion, Council expressed its warm appreciation to all members of the Organizing Committee and the IEC National Committee of Germany for their excellent organization of the 80th IEC General Meeting and for the generous hospitality extended to IEC delegates in Frankfurt.