Statutory issues concerning the election/appointment of:
- the future IEC President
- the third IEC Vice-President and Convenor of the Market Strategy Board (MSB)
- five Members of the Council Board (CB)
- three Members of the Standardization Management Board (SMB)
- four Members of the Conformity Assessment Board (CAB)
Other principal items on the agenda
- The General Secretary’s report
- The President’s address
- Financial matters
- Reports from the Council Board, including reports from the IEC Vice-Presidents on CAB, SMB and MSB activities
- Forthcoming General Meetings (GMs)
Future IEC President
Council elected Dr Yinbiao Shu from China as IEC President for a three-year term of office (1 January 2020 to 31 December 2022) and as President-Elect for the year 2019.
IEC Vice-President and Convenor of the MSB
Council elected Dr Kazuhiko Tsutsumi from Japan as third IEC Vice-President for a three-year term of office (2019-2021) and as Convenor of the MSB.
Council elected Mr Weijun Liu from China as financial Group A CB member for a three-year term of office (2019-2021).
Council elected/re-elected four CB members for a three-year term of office (2019-2021):
- Mr Colin Clark (Canada)
- Mr Werner Fischer (Austria)
- Mr Peter Weng Kwai Leong (Singapore)
- Mr Carlo Scarlata (Italy)
Standardization Management Board
Council appointed one Automatically Appointed Member of the SMB for a three-year term of office (2019-2021):
- Mr Han Xiao (China)
Council elected/re-elected two Members of the SMB for a three-year term of office (2019-2021):
- Mr Christian Gabriel (Austria)
- Mr Antony Capel (Canada)
Conformity Assessment Board
Council appointed/re-appointed two Automatically Appointed Members of the CAB for a three-year term of office (2019-2021).
- Mrs Yumin Bo (China)
- Mr Rajeev Vagdia (United Kingdom)
Council elected/re-elected two Members of the CAB for a three-year term of office (2019-2021):
- Mr Byoung-Kuk Lee (Republic of Korea)
- Mr Fredrik Wennersten (Sweden)
IEC Treasurer Jo Cops reported on the financial situation of the IEC.
Council approved the 2019 budget and the distribution of national dues for 2019.
Future General Meetings
83rd General Meeting
Shanghai, China, from 21 to 25 October 2019.
84th General Meeting
Stockholm, Sweden, from 5 to 9 October 2020.
85th General Meeting
Council formally accepted the invitation of the United Arab Emirates National Committee to host the 2021 IEC General Meeting in Dubai from 10 to 14 October.
Although Council can only officially accept invitations from national committees up to three years in advance, some members have already declared their intention to issue an invitation to host a future IEC General Meeting:
The National Committee of the United States has stated its intention to host the IEC General Meeting in 2022.
In conclusion, Council expressed its warm appreciation to all members of the Organizing Committee and the IEC National Committee of the Republic of Korea for their excellent organization of the 82nd IEC General Meeting and for the generous hospitality extended to IEC delegates in Busan.